“Der Weiße Rausch” – The Race
One of the World’s Toughest Ski Races
A spectacular mass start on more than 2,600 metres above sea level and only moments later wildly gasping creatures that fight their way over the finish line, where they instantly have to sit down all exhausted: Some participants call “Der Weiße Rausch” (“The White Ecstasy”) the “world’s toughest mass start race” for a reason. It will take place again on April 19th.
More than 500 participants from all over the world compete against each other during the Alps’ most legendary and hardest mass start race. “Der Weiße Rausch” leads them from the Valluga’s shadow down to St. Anton and it’s not all downhill: there are various stages with a total altitude difference of 40 metres uphill and various obstacle before the skiers reach the finish line.
“Der Weiße Rausch” in a Nutshell
- Date: 19th April 2014
- Times: numbers are handed out at 6pm the day before and at 9:30am on the day of the race. The race starts at 5pm.
- Where exactly: From Vallugagrat all the way down to St. Anton. The Galzig and Valluga cable car will take you to the start.
- Various groups: ski alpine, snowboard, telemark and miniskis up to 100cm
- How many participants: the numbers are limited with 555.
- Entry fee: €30; €25 for Ski-Club Arlberg members. The ski pass is not included. The entry fee includes the pasta party and a present at the finish line.
- The route: around 9km long and an altitude difference of about 1,300 metres.
- Course record: the course record is unbelievable 7:40 minutes
- Philosophy: everyone who competes and gets to the finish line is already a winner and will talk about his or her experience for a long time.
The “Mini Weiße Rausch”
Youngsters can also taste the racing air: during the Mini Weiße Rausch children born between 2003 and 1998 compete on a shorter course that starts at the Sennhütte hut. This shorter race takes place before the actual competition. Find everything you need to know about the registration on the Arlberg Murmel website.
By the way “Der Weiße Rausch” isn’t only spectacular for the participants; during the party in the finish area you are close to the action, be in the middle of it all at Basecamp – with finest sounds, cool drinks and a delicious meal selection.
- Good Health During Winter - 3. December 2014
- The Bergschlössl – A Boutique Hotel at the Arlberg - 5. November 2014
- A Castle on the Arlberg - 10. October 2014
- Regional customs & traditions in autumn & winter - 13. September 2014
- Motorcycling Tours from St. Anton - 14. July 2014
- Over Hill and Dale, Rise Above Yourself - 10. July 2014
- St. Anton: Snow Parks on the Arlberg - 19. April 2014
- Off-piste in St. Anton - 18. April 2014
- The Arlberg Ski Resort – the Cradle of Alpine Skiing - 14. April 2014
- Deep powder snow skiing and free riding on the Arlberg - 4. April 2014